Thailand, also called the Republic of Thailand, is one of the most renowned tourist hubs in Southeast Asia. The “Land of the Free” is known for its majestic mountains, pearly oceans, lush forests filled with thriving wildlife, soothing beaches, breathtaking islands, and happening cities that make it a tourist haven and attracts people to visit this magnificent land again and again. From the bustling capital of Bangkok to the heritage city of Ayutthaya and from the glamorous nightlife of Pattaya to the delectable Thai Cuisine of Chiang Mai, Thailand boasts of many exotic places to travel and explore without making a hole in your wallet.
If you wish to work, travel or study in Thailand, there are certain conditions that need to be accomplished in order to receive a Thailand visa for Indians. Thailand tourist visa, Thailand business visa, Thai spouse visa or Thailand student visa are the main Thailand visa types for Indians necessary to travel to Thailand.
Let's have a look at the different Thailand Visa Types:
Thai Tourist Visa (TR)
- It is officially called a Thailand TR visa.
- Thailand tourist visa for Indians is issued to those who wish to enter Thailand to visit friends and family or for tourism purposes only. This visa cannot be used for business or employment purposes.
- It can be a single entry or a multiple entry visa with a validity of 1 to 3 months.
- It allows the applicant to stay in Thailand for up to 15 to 60 days depending upon the type of visa.
- A Thailand visa extension can be obtained from the Office of Thailand Immigration Bureau in Bangkok for additional 30 days.
- There is an option to get a Thailand visa on arrival for those who wish to visit Thailand solely for the purpose of tourism. However, we strongly recommend getting a pre-approved tourist visa for Thailand from India itself to avoid long queues at the immigration counter and any last minute visa worries.
Thai Business Visa (B)
- It is officially called a Thailand Non-immigrant visa-B (Business or Working visa).
- It is issued to those who wish to conduct business, invest or to work in Thailand.
- Various categories of the non-immigrant visas are currently provided to meet the need and qualifications of individuals. These include Non-immigrant B Visa (Business Visa), Non-immigrant BA Visa (Business Approved Visa), Non-immigrant IB Visa (Investment and Business Visa) and Non-immigrant B Visa (Teaching Visa).
- A Thailand business visa holder must be granted a Thailand work permit in order to work in Thailand.
- It can be a single entry or multiple entry visa.
- A single entry Thailand business visa for Indians is valid for 3 months and a multiple entry business visa for Thailand is valid for 1 year.
- It allows the applicant to stay in Thailand for up to 3 months and can be extended further for a year.
- A valid passport, an employment confirmation letter or company incorporation documents are required documents when applying for a business visa for Thailand.
Thai Education Visa (ED)
- Thailand student visa is officially called Non-immigrant visa-ED.
- This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand to study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour, to participate in projects, seminars or internship programme, to attend a conference or training course, and to study as a foreign Buddhist monk.
- This visa allows a stay of up to 90 days for a single entry or 1 year for multiple entries. Single-entry and multiple-entry visas are valid for 3 months. Multiple-entry visas could also be valid for 1 year.
- The holders of a Thai student visa are initially granted a period of stay in Thailand not exceeding 90 days unless otherwise instructed by the Office of Immigration Bureau in Thailand. The extension of stay is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer.
- Applicants must provide necessary documents which shows that the course, workshop or internship meet the minimum requirement to be eligible for this visa type.
Thai Marriage Visa (O)
- The Thailand spouse visa is officially called Non-immigrant visa-O.
- Those who are married to a Thai citizen can obtain the Thailand marriage visa that allows them to stay for up to 1 year in the country.
- With a Thai spouse visa there is no need to exit the country during the 1 years’ time as it can be renewed within the country.
- There are specific rules in order to receive this visa for Thailand, like proving legal income sources necessary for at least 2 months of living in the country, and a clean criminal background.
- The non immigrant O visa Thailand also gives the holder the permission to work within the country.
Thai Retirement Visa
- Thailand retirement visa is officially called Non-immigrant visa-O. There are 2 different categories to it: Non-immigrant visa-O-A and Non-immigrant visa-O-X.
- If you are over the age of 50, you can get a Thai retirement visa fairly easily and stay in Thailand for longer duration as it is a long stay visa for Thailand. To begin the process, you will first need to obtain a Thailand Non-immigrant visa which you can convert into a retirement visa for Thailand that will be good for 1 year and then you can apply for Thailand visa renewal within Thailand on an annual basis.
- The Non-immigrant visa O-A is valid for 1 year, lets the applicant stay in Thailand for 1 year and can be extended for 1 year every year. Non-immigrant visa O-X is valid for 5 years, lets the applicant stay in Thailand for 5 years and can be extended after the first 5 years for additional 5 years.
- With a Non-immigrant visa-O-A employment is prohibited. However, applicants can do volunteer work with a Non-immigrant-O-X visa.
- The main requirement is proof of pension, but it is not really all that strict. You will either need to show proof of a security deposit of THB 800,000 or a monthly pension or income source of at least THB 65,000. Again, you can also have a combination of both as long as the total is equivalent to or higher than THB 800,000.
Thai Transit Visa
- Thailand transit visa may be issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for the following purposes:
- To travel in transit through Thailand in order to proceed to a third country (Category TS)
- To participate in sports activities (Category S)
- To perform duty as person in charge, or crew member of a conveyance coming to a port, station or area in the Thailand (Category C)
- The validity ofThailand transit visa, as indicated on the visa page (“Enter before …”), is the length of time during which the holder of this visa is entitled to present themselves at a Thai immigration checkpoint with a view to enter Thailand. It does not indicate the length of time the holder of the visa may stay in Thailand.
- The validity of a single-entry Thailand transit visa is 3 months from the date of issuance and that of a multiple entry Thai transit visa may be 3 or 6 months from date of issuance.
- Holders of a transit visa may be granted entry and permitted to stay in Thailand at the discretion of the Thailand Immigration Officer for a period not exceeding 30 days.
Permanent Resident Visa
Several conditions must be met in order to be eligible for a Thailand permanent resident visa:
- To have stayed in the country for 3 consecutive years on a 1 year visa extension.
- To be married to a Thai citizen for at least 5 years and must have a THB 30,000 monthly income.
- To prove a THB 80,000 monthly income if the applicant is single.
- Provide the immigration authorities with your personal tax statements in order to apply for permanent residence visa in Thailand.
- A proof of no criminal record in their country of origin must also be submitted by the applicant in order to receive a residence visa for Thailand.
Diplomatic / Official Visa
- Upon official request, the Royal Thai Embassy may grant visas to diplomatic or official passport holders who wish to assume duties at a foreign Diplomatic Mission or Consulate or International Organization in Thailand and to their family members.
- It is officially called a Thailand diplomatic visa category D in case the applicant is visiting Thailand for diplomatic duties or a Thailand Official visa category F in case the applicant is being posted in Thailand for official duties.
- Depending upon the purpose of visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand may issue this visa to parents, spouse or children of the applicant.
- It is a 90-day non immigrant visa for Thailand and can be extended by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.
- Supporting documents issued by the foreign government or international organization, certifying the identity of the person concerned and their purposes while residing in Thailand are required along with the Thailand visa application form.
- Thailand smart visa is a new type of Thailand visa designed specifically to attract highly skilled individuals. It issued to individuals who wish to work or invest in targeted industries in Thailand.
- Thai smart visa holders can stay in Thailand for 4 years and are exempted from Thailand work permit requirements and are entitled to additional privileges.
- It has various categories, depending upon the reason for Thai visa application:
- Thailand Smart Visa Category T – for those individuals who are highly skilled in targeted industries such as IT, Medical and Science and Technology, etc.
- Thailand Smart Visa Category I – for those individuals who have invested THB 20 million in manufacturing businesses.
- Thailand Smart Visa Category E – for those individuals who are employed at Senior Executive level positions in a technology based industry.
- Thailand Smart Visa Category S – for those individuals who own minimum 25% ownership of a start-up venture that they wish to set up in Thailand.
- Thailand Smart Visa Category O – it is issued to the parents, spouse or children of a Thai smart visa holder.
Documents Required for Thailand Visa
Note: Depending upon Thailand visa type and category, the list of documents required for Thailand visa may vary.
- A valid passport with 2 blank pages and 6 months of validity remaining.
- Confirmed return flight tickets.
- Accommodation proof – hotel booking receipt or a local Thai address.
- Bank statements showing sufficient funds in bank account.
The Royal Thai Embassy takes up to 5 working days to process Thailand visa applications. This time could vary depending on the procedures at the Embassy. Applicants are advised to submit their Thailand visa application forms at least 20 days prior to their departure date.
Q.How many types of visa in Thailand?
Ans - Thailand offers 9 different types of Thai visa for Indians, such as: Thailand tourist visa, Thailand business visa, Thailand student visa, Thailand marriage visa, Thailand retirement visa, Thailand transit visa, Thailand permanent residence visa, Thailand diplomatic visa or Thailand official visa, and Thailand SMART visa.
Q.Is visa on arrival open in Thailand 2022?
Ans - Yes. You can get a Thailand visa on arrival for Indians in 2022 but, we recommend to apply visa for Thailand from India itself, as a pre-approved visa lets you stay in Thailand for a longer period of time, clear immigration without waiting in long queues and helps you avoid last minute visa troubles.
Q.How much is a 90 day Thai visa?
Ans - A 90-day tourist visa Thailand costs INR 11,999/- if you apply Thailand visa online via Akbartravels.com.
Q.How long can I stay in Thailand without a tourist visa?
Ans - Indians cannot enter Thailand without a valid visa. Indians need to apply for Thailand visa at least 20 days prior to their intended date of travel to ensure that they receive their visa on time.
Q.Can I change my visa type in Thailand?
Ans - Indians having a Thai tourist visa can change their visa type to non-immigrant visa B or non-immigrant visa ED if they are travelling to Thailand for the business or educational purposes. They simply need to visit the Thailand Immigration Bureau Office and submit an official application requesting the change of visa status, along with a copy of passport showing the original visa issued (the visa must have minimum 15 days of validity remaining), a copy of employment contract or proof of admission to an accredited university in Thailand, educational qualification certificates, etc. The applicant will also be required to pay between THB 1,500-2,000 as a fee for changing visa status.
Q.What happens if I overstay my visa in Thailand?
Ans - Overstaying in Thailand is illegal. Once you have exhausted the number of days you can stay in Thailand you must return back to your home country to avoid heavy fines, deportation, and even further ban from visiting Thailand ever again.
Q.How many times can I extend my tourist visa in Thailand?
Ans - If you apply for a tourist visa for Thailand from India then you can apply for a Thailand visa extension depending upon the type of Thailand visa. It can only be extended once for a month, 3 months or a year depending upon your Thailand visa category.
Q.Is visa free for Thailand in 2022?
Ans - No. There is a Thailand visa cost for Indians that must be paid at the time of filling up Thailand visa application.
Q.How much does a Thai visa cost?
Ans - The Thailand visa price for Indians starts from INR 7,499/-. This amount varies depending upon the Thailand visa types and categories.
Q.Is the visa fees for Thailand refundable?
Ans - No. The Thailand visa price is non-refundable irrespective of your Thailand visa application status.
Q.Where can I find details about Thai visa online?
Ans - Akbartravels.com is your one stop solution to find all the details related to Thailand visa types and fees.
How can Akbartravels help you?
Akbartravels.com offers an extensive range of services to assist in the preparation and application of your Thailand visa, as well as ongoing assistance and support wherever required throughout its processing. Our Visa Experts are ready to help you with the Thailand visa requirements and the needed documentation if you are interested in visiting Thailand, no matter if it’s for business or leisure.
Thailand Visa Blogs:
Apply Visa Online
Dubai Visa Online | 14 days Dubai Visa | 30 days Dubai Visa | 90 days Dubai Visa | Dubai Transit Visa | UAE Visa | Singapore Visa | Malaysia Visa | Thailand Visa | Sri Lanka Visa | US Visa | UK Visa | Schengen Visa | Canada Visa | Australia Visa | New Zealand Visa | France Visa | Italy Visa | Turkey Visa Online | Philippines Visa | Cambodia Visa Online | Vietnam Visa Online | Oman Visa
International Holiday Packages
Dubai Tour Packages | Singapore Tour Packages | Thailand Tour Packages | Malaysia Tour Packages | Sri Lanka Tour Packages | US Tour Packages | United Kingdom Tour Packages | South Africa Tour Packages | Europe Tour Packages | Bali Tour Packages | Mauritius Tour Packages | Maldives Tour Packages | Cordelia Cruise Packages |
Domestic Holiday Packages
India Tour Packages | Goa Tour Packages | Kerala Tour Packages | Leh Ladakh Tour Packages | Himachal Tour Packages | Andaman Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | Uttarakhand Tour Packages | Jammu and Kashmir Tour Packages
Packages by Themes
Honeymoon Packages | Adventure Packages | Visa on Arrival Packages | Family Packages | Romantic Packages | Weekend Getaways Packages
Flights To Singapore
Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Bangalore Singapore Flights | Hyderabad Singapore Flights
Pune Bangalore Flights | Chennai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Chennai Flights | Mumbai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Hyderabad Flights | Ahmedabad Goa Flights | Mumbai Kolkata Flights | Hyderabad Delhi Flights | Bangalore Goa Flights | Mumbai Goa Flights
Delhi Dubai Flights | Delhi Bangkok Flights | Delhi Toronto Flights | Mumbai Dubai Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights |Delhi London Flights | Delhi Kathmandu Flights | Mumbai London Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi New York Flights |Kolkata Bangkok Flights